Adult Education Ministries at Old St. Patrick’s strive to create environments and opportunities that foster adult learning and deepen our knowledge and understanding of the Catholic faith tradition. We also welcome opportunities to explore and appreciate the wisdom of other spiritual traditions.
Adult Education Ministries host lectures, workshops, courses, and book, film and theater discussions. Most of our programs take place at Old St. Patrick’s, but we also host satellite programming at three locations in the city and suburbs through the Offsite/Insight project.
Recently, we have hosted lecture programs led by:
- Sr. Helen Prejean, CSJ, author and advocate for Death Penalty Moratorium
- Garry McCarthy, Superintendent of Police, City of Chicago
- Eric Zorn, journalist Chicago Tribune
- Eboo Patel, Founder and President of Interfaith Youth Core
- Mary Schmich, journalist Chicago Tribune
- Fr. Greg Boyle, S.J., author and Director of Homeboy Industries
- Sr. Simone Campbell, SSS, Executive Director of NETWORK
- Fr. Michael Pfleger, Senior Pastor, Faith Community of St. Sabina
- Mike Leonard, television journalist and film documentarian
- Dr. Scott Alexander, Director of the Catholic-Muslim Studies Program, Catholic Theological Union
Some recent film and drama viewings with discussion include:
- Monsenor: An Encounter with Oscar Romero
- Rooted in Love: The Life and Martyrdom of Sister Dorothy Stang, SNDdeN.
We have also offered courses/workshops on:
- The Gospel of Matthew
- The Second Vatican Council
- Centering Prayer
- Interreligious Understanding: The Sharing Sacred Spaces Initiative