Seeking Volunteer Youth Workers During the CPS Teachers Strike
The Young Men’s Education Network (YMEN), an Old St. Pat’s partner organization within the North Lawndale Kinship Initiative, is answering a call to action. YMEN is sponsoring a program to support K-12 students, grouped by age, both male and female, and their families. Up to eight (8) volunteers are needed for either a single day, or once per week Mondays through Fridays starting October 11, from 9am – 2pm for the duration of the strike.
The objectives are: (a) Helping students to retain and sharpen academic skills in Math and Reading, (b) serving tasty, nutritious meals, (c) supporting working adults by keeping their children engaged and safe, and (d) providing fun and wholesome Team Building, Recreation and Creative Arts activities.
9:00 . . . . . . . . Volunteer check-in
9:30 . . . . . . . . Day begins with team building and ice-breakers
10:00 . . . . . . . Daily focus area (Differs each day)
11:00 . . . . . . . Recreation
12:15 . . . . . . . Lunch
12:45 . . . . . . . Academic enrichment (one-on-one and using IXL Tutoring Software)
2:00 . . . . . . . Parent pick-up (Recreation time until parents arrive)
Benefits to Volunteers:
- Serving with YMEN, an excellent youth ministry organization in North Lawndale
- Sharing your time, skills and gifts with young people who deserve the best
- Free lot parking and convenient access to CTA transportation
Requirements of Volunteers:
- Time, energy, flexibility and talents to share
- Love of young people and care for the North Lawndale community
- Complete the FREE Protecting God’s Children for Adults™/Virtus Training with the Archdiocese of Chicago (or similar training with another diocese). Go to http://www.virtusonline.org to register for one of several convenient dates and locations.
Can you help out? Your service would be most appreciated.
- Volunteer at http://signup.com/go/UQhS2J
- Donate funds by check (made out to “YMEN”) at the address below or on-line at http://ymenchicago.com/donate.
(773) 522-9636 – YMEN Office
(816) 824-6716 – Sterling Cooke, YMEN Representative
(630) 297-5274 – Nancy Kapp, YMEN Executive Assistant
Young Men’s Education Network (YMEN)
1241 S. Pulaski, Ave. Chicago, IL 60623
YMEN LOGO HERE