February – May 2017
What social issues do YOU care about?
Thank you to everyone who participated in our Listening Campaign. We appreciated all the feedback from one-on-one coffee conversations, neighborhood house meetings, discussion groups at OSP, and our online survey.
The following issues were the most discussed in person and via the online survey:
- Racism/Racial Discrimination
- Violence in Chicago
- Immigrant & Refugee Rights
- Healthcare/Public Heath
With this insight, we will plan our annual Season for Social Justice focused on injustices in the Education system, especially around Racism and Racial Discrimination. We have various projects within our justice ministries to address the intersecting concerns of our communities. Contact us to take action today: firstname.lastname@example.org. Onward!
WHY a listening campaign?
- We want to unify as a church and we want to make a real impact. There’s a lot going on in our world and at Old St. Pat’s. Folks are telling us to find a more specific area of focus that will unify us as a church and allow us to impact people’s lives in a truly meaningful way. We want to get to the heart of the issue, the root causes, the systemic injustices – the factors that cause homelessness, violence, and poverty.
- People want to be heard. OSP members and friends like you listen each week on Sundays, so this is a chance for US to listen to YOU! We want to make space for you to tell us where the Holy Spirit is leading us to take action and live in solidarity with people marginalized in our city and our world.
WHAT is a listening campaign?
- A Listening Campaign is a focused effort to build relationships and identify concerns and priorities in a specific community.
- We’ll listen to you in 1:1 coffee conversations, small group “house meetings” with neighbors across the city/suburbs, and listening sessions directly following masses on specific Sundays. These conversations ask you questions like, “What social issues matter to you personally? What obstacles do you face in taking action on what you care about? Where will Old St. Pat’s make a tangible impact – what will be be known for?”
- Goals are to build relationships, identify leaders and their skills and assets, and more clearly surface priority values and social issues to focus on as a whole church. The campaign helps a group of people feel linked to each other and brings up identified common experiences and concerns. We will start to create the map for where we want to go from here.
HOW do I participate?
- We have closed the formal listening campaign, but we always want to hear from you, our members and friends. Email Rachel Lyons to find a time to talk: email@example.com or call 312-798-2399.
Organizer, Mission for Social Justice
Old St. Patrick’s Church