“Harnessing the resources and networks of Old St. Patrick’s Church to generate new employment opportunities for job seekers in Chicago’s North Lawndale neighborhood.”
In 2011 the Old St. Patrick’s Church began its journey with our North Lawndale neighbors through the North Lawndale Kinship Initiative. Since then our two communities have accomplished many great things working alongside one another. North Lawndale Works is one of the many collaborative efforts between the communities.
Learn more at KinshipMovement.org
For many adults in North Lawndale and other struggling neighborhoods in Chicago, the basic elements of a stable and dignified life are beyond reach. Some are simply caught in circumstance that limit them from obtaining or keeping meaningful and sustainable jobs.
North Lawndale Works is a call for the people of Old St. Patrick’s Church to identify entry level jobs and provide financial assistance for women and men of Chicago’s North Lawndale neighborhood who are looking for the dignity and stability that work provides.
North Lawndale Works is an important new campaign to connect clients of the North Lawndale Employment Network (NLEN) and Cara Chicago in positions such as:
Food service | Driving | Security | Equipment operation
Maintenance | Mailroom | Reception | Product assembly
Administrative aid| Tech support | Customer Service| Manufacturing
NLEN and Cara Chicago are workforce development agencies that are renowned for preparing adult job seekers facing significant barriers to employment for lives of productive work and engaged citizenship. These two agencies, along with Old St. Patrick’s Church, are partnering to accelerate hiring and job retention rates in North Lawndale and to aid Chicago Area employers to meet their real hiring needs. Through the networks of Old St. Patrick’s Church, the expertise of these successful workforce development agencies, and in a spirit of kinship, we aim to produce a economic and social win/win for the job seekers, their employers and the North Lawndale and Old St. Patrick’s communities.
We ask that individual members and all business represented at Old St. Patrick’s please:
1. CONNECT – Ask people in your networks to hire one or more North Lawndale job seekers who are ready, willing and able to work in entry level positions.
If you are a Chicago area business owner or manager, or in a position to hire, and if you have relatives, friends, co-workers or neighbors in positions to hire, we need your help. Through our networks, we can make a far reaching and historic economic and spiritual difference. Please click to fill out one of the forms below.
2. CONTRIBUTE – Donate critically needed funds to assist North Lawndale job seekers who have difficulty paying for basic needs such as transportation, child care or new work attire while they look for work or begin their new jobs.
The following are the types of financial support job seekers need to secure and retain new jobs.
$35 . . . . . . . . 7 day public transportation pass
$75 . . . . . . . . Basic phone or Internet service for 1 month
$100 . . . . . . . Childcare for 1 week or grooming for 2 job interviews
$200 . . . . . . . Food for the job seeker and family for 2 weeks
$500 . . . . . . . Efficiency apartment rental assistance for 1 month
Will you please contribute towards their expenses?
- I would like to financially contribute towards job related expenses of North Lawndale Employment Network (NLEN) clients who live in North Lawndale and are seeking employment or starting new jobs. Click here.
- I would like to contribute towards job related expenses of Cara Chicago students who live in North Lawndale and are seeking employment or starting new jobs. Click here.
- I would like to donate to Old St. Pat’s Church toward administrative costs for North Lawndale Works. Click here.
Only financial donations are being accepted at this time.
3. COLLABORATE – Support either NLEN or Cara Chicago. Visit these websites to learn more and get involved.
Cara Chicago | 237 S. Desplaines Street, Chicago, 60661
Cara Chicago Video
Thank you for your willingness to network and get involved to make a difference. North Lawndale Works Updates will be posted on this web page, in the Old St. Patrick’s Church Crossroads Bulletin and the North Lawndale Kinship Initiative Website the fourth week of each month.
Vincent Guider, North Lawndale Kinship Initiative Director
Old St. Patrick’s Catholic Church